Wrong Shave Wrong Way (And how to fix it)

     It's that dreaded time again! The stubble has out grown it's stay and it is time to shave. You want it gone! The thing is, th...

     It's that dreaded time again! The stubble has out grown it's stay and it is time to shave. You want it gone! The thing is, the last time you shaved you may have gotten razor bumps after, you probably cut yourself in the process or your skin was really tender afterwards. Maybe all three happened to you and you're just traumatized altogether with the thought of shaving.

     Let me tell you now, it's okay. Sometimes we go through life not knowing simple hacks that can make our lives better. Harry's, a growing startup and men's shaving company, provides cool razors, shaving products, and great advice. I know what some of you are thinking, "Angela I am not a man". Let me just start of by saying some men's brands are good for your skin because they are usually created for shaving the face area, one of the most sensitive areas on the body. Plus, you don't need to be a man to get the inside scoop of what I'm about to tell you next.

Common Mistakes When Shaving And How To Fix It
Now, I am in no way a shaving expert but what I'm about to tell you is from my experience and the help of Harry's to make our shaving life a little bit better. Yes, I said OUR because I am still learning daily too.

1. Prep Your Skin

Water doesn't always cut it when shaving. If you have longer stubble you're going to need to prep just a bit more. DON'T OVER DO IT! Remember too much of anything isn't good.

Jump in the shower and wait a little bit. Let the hot waters steam open up your pores so the hairs are easier to shave. Try not to use soap or water but instead use shaving cream or gel. I like anything that's for sensitive skin. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Bringing me to my next tip.

2. STOP AND THINK Before You Shave

Even though soap and body wash can help to shave they can also lead to trauma for your skin. No one wants that. That's like welcoming ingrown hairs and razor bumps into your home.

Try to avoid this simply by using shaving products. There are shaving products that will reduce the chances of inflammation after shaving, and prevent razor bumps and ingrown hairs. You just have to try out the product(s) that work for you! NEVER and I mean NEVER SHAVE DRY.

3. Avoid Leaving Your Razor Out

I know it's tempting to just leave your razor on the bar in the shower on at the sink but that is not a good idea. That makes it easier for bacteria and water to get on it which makes it dull faster and dirty.

All you really need to do is put it in a safe place. Make sure it's away from a lot of water exposure or even put it on a cute razor stand.

4. Wrong Shave Wrong Way

The causes of your shaving may even stem from the way you're shaving. Maybe you're shaving too hard, which can cause razor cuts, or you' re shaving in the wrong direction.

To get away from this, feel your hair. Which direction is it growing in? Shave with the grain and shave with a light hand. Again, I am not an expert but I usually see a reduction of ingrown hairs doing this. My preference is to shave from the bottom to the top but everyone is different. Too many strokes can cause abrasion resulting in darker under arms. I definitely have had that problem and I'm working on it.

5. 6 Day 7 Day 8 Day Throwaway

Last but not least, don't keep your razor too long. If you're like me you may buy disposable razors or you have replaceable razors tops.

Always remember when you started using your blade. And always remember between the sixth and the eighth day throw that blade away!

  Also, ask your doctor, mom, aunt, or best friend. Getting advice from multiple sources can only help. Testing it out is your best bet too. If shaving is still not great on your skin try waxing or hair removal lotion, my favorite is Nair. I hope these tips were helpful. If they were or you have some tips of your own feel free to leave a comment below.

If you'd like to check out Harry's and be apart of their shave club (I hear they have a new $3 trial but you didn't hear that from me) the link is down below.
Harry's Shave Club
All the photos used for this post is from Harry's Instagram

Remember, you never have to feel alone because Jesus is always with you. Just chat him up!

Love,
A



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images